If you like beetroot you will love this recipe
1 kg cooked beetroot
500 g onions
500 g cooking apples
the juice and zest of 1 lemon
500 ml vinegar
2 level teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 level teaspoon salt
225 g raisins or sultanas
225 g granulated sugar
1. Peel and grate the beetroot in a food processor and set aside. Now finely chop the onions, next peel, core and chop the apples.
2. Put all of the ingredients except the beetroot into a large heavy saucepan or preserving pan.
3. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar had dissolved.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for half an hour.
5. Add the beetroot and simmer for 1 hour longer or until the chutney is thick.
6. Spoon into sterilized warm jars.
This is delicious with a ploughman’s lunch and makes a nice change to the usual sliced pickled beetroot.