As everyone seems to like this onion marmalade i thought i would put the recipe up for others to try.
2 kg onions
50 g butter
225 g sugar
125 g dark brown sugar
500 ml red wine
250 ml balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon. extra virgin olive oil
1. Slice the onions thinly, I used a food processor slicing attachment to reduce the tears.
2. Place a large, non-reactive pan over medium-low heat. Add the butter and olive oil.
3. Once the butter has melted, turn up the heat to high to medium-high, add the onions and salt. Stir to make sure the onions are coated with the oil. Cook covered with a tight lid for about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook stirring every 5 to 10 minutes until the onions begin to turn golden brown.
4. Add the sugar, brown sugar, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Stir well to make sure the sugars dissolve into the liquid. Cook over medium heat until thickened. You want it to be as thick as custard.
5. Spoon into sterilized warm jars.
For a variation replace half the red wine with port or add some chillies to spice it up a bit.
Goes well with strong cheese and is great in a sausage sandwich.